All you need to know about Harihar Fort Trek
Harihar Fort has earned its name among beautiful hill forts in Maharashtra. Pet name of Harihar fort is Harshagad which is located 48 km from Igatpuri. It is about 40 km from Ghoti in Nashik district Maharashtra. Visitors love to visit here because of peculiar rock-cut steps as it offers exciting trekking.
Harihar fort catches the attention of visitors as it appears to be rectangular from its base village. It is standing on the triangular prism of rock.
To visit any place, a visitor should know about all the information related to the place. The information part starts from its history. History makes the place more amazing and exciting.
This amazing fort was established during Seuna or Yadava Dynasty or it can be said like this i.e. between the 9th and 14th centuries. This fort was considered as a bodyguard for the trade route.
When the British were trying to win every fort, routes; the Harihar route was one of the 17 forts which were won by Captain Briggs.
Harihar fort is built on a triangular rock that lies at an altitude of 1120 meters. To approach this thrilling fort one has to take 117 steps of a staircase. This turns out into a more thrilling visit if the visitor approaches this with more and more enthusiasm. The only left structure is a storage house. Visitors will see a chain of the rock-cut water barrel.
Trekking on the Harihar fort is divided into two sections that depend on your ability to face difficulties.
Section 1 – Nirgudpada village (Kotamwadi) to the plateau.
There is a second way to reach the plateau i.e. Harshewadi village.
Section 2 – Plateau to the top through iconic steps.
Eye-catching things on the Harihar fort
The most thrilling feature of the hike is to climb the staircase which is vertically angled at 80 degrees.
While climbing on the stairs it is petrifying to look back if you are afraid of heights as you will realize how many stairs you have covered. But if you want to feel proud that you have climbed over several stairs then you can look back. After looking back you will realize that you are very close to your destination and your heart will flutter. The decision of looking back will depend on your willpower.
When you are on the heights of the Sahyadri mountain range you will feel like you are living in a different world. Also, you will get to see the forts of Maharashtra. If you look around from this range in the rainy season you will be amazed. During the rainy season, greenery on the mountain and in the forest will itself sing a song that will bring peace and the joy of satisfaction into your soul. You can also see renowned places from here like Durg bhandar, Bhaskargad or Basgad, Utwad fort, Anjaneri fort, Brahmagiri hill, etc.
The Temple of Lord Hanuman and Lord Shiva is saffron colored and is located on the top of the plateau. You, Will, get to drink the fresh water in the fond which is present in the temple. Also, you will be in a blissful environment.
Things to be carried with you:
- Dry fruits with you for a backup.
- Glucose to boost your energy
- Tent for making your experience more exciting.
- Light backpack with your important things.
- Comfortable pair of shoes, socks.
- First aid kit for any emergency.
- Carry a whistle or a flag to inform someone in emergencies.
- DSLR camera to capture the beautiful view at the top of the plateau.
Information to which you should be aware:
- You can get the trekking operator from Mumbai to Mumbai.
- The exciting and thrilling trekking will take one night and one day to cover.
- You will enjoy trekking more when you find yourself in the dense forest and glancing at the beautiful hills.
- The difficulty level will not be as much as you think. Beginners can also do trekking in Harihar fort.
- You will get the professional operator to guide you and turn your difficulty level into an easy one.
- If you are in your teen year then don’t worry you will be considered as an adult.
- The most preferable age group for trekking is 12 years to 45 years. In this age group, you have a more exciting feeling to reach your destination.
- If you think that you will get the whole day to do trekking, then I am sorry to disappoint you. But the trekking time is between 3:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- You will get a stress buster while doing the trekking surrounded by a soothing environment.
Pack your bags at your convenience and here you are ready to add the new experiences to your diary.